Monday, July 12, 2010

Bakili Muluzi happy with top award


Former president Bakili Muluzi says he is happy to have been honoured.

By Mc Donald Chapalapata

Former President Bakili Muluzi has said he is elated by the highest national award of Most Excellent Grand Commander of the Malawi Order of National Achievement conferred upon him during independence cerebrations on Tuesday.

Muluzi said in a telephone interview from Cape Town, South Africa where he is getting medical attention that he was happy with the honour.

“I feel greatly honoured. When I received communication from the Secretary to the President Bright Msaka on Sunday informing me of the honour, I was naturally very happy,” said Muluzi who sounded jovial.

“I want to thank the President and Government for recognizing me with this honour. I will cherish this for the rest of my life,” added Muluzi.

The former President said he feels that the honour is a ‘collective achievement’ for the attainment of multiparty democracy in the country.

“The fight against one party rule was not a one man show. Millions supported me and the late Chakufwa Chihana. We should also not forget the Catholic Bishops and other religious organizations that helped us to fight for change. It is as collective honour but one man had to get it and it was me,” he said.

Muluzi missed out on the awards during their inception last year. His son Atupele received the award on his behalf-The Daily Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment